Perfect Love Casts Out Fear

"Perfect Love" banner ad - The Pocket Testament League

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Jordan River








The Jordan River is best known to be the place where Jesus was baptized by his cousin, John the Baptist. The passage is found in Matthew 3:11-16

11 “I baptize you with[b] water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with[c] the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”
13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.”
Then John consented.
16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”


Another event that happened in the Jordan River was the cleansing of Naaman, a leprous commander in the army of the king of Aram, which is found in 2 Kings 5.He was a great man in the sight of his master and highly regarded, because through him the LORD had given victory to Aram. He was a valiant soldier, but he had leprosy.

The Jordan didn’t seem appealing to Naaman because it was probably muddy, and he didn’t want to do what he was told by the prophet Elisha, which was to dip himself in the Jordan seven times. Naaman’s servant managed to convince him…

2 Kings 5:13: Naaman’s servants went to him and said, “My father, if the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more, then, when he tells you, ‘Wash and be cleansed’!” 14 So he went down and dipped himself in the Jordan seven times, as the man of God had told him, and his flesh was restored and became clean like that of a young boy.
15 Then Naaman and all his attendants went back to the man of God. He stood before him and said, “Now I know that there is no God in all the world except in Israel. So please accept a gift from your servant."

So like Naaman, I testify that there is no God in all the world except in Israel, and following Jesus' example, five of the team members on this trip (me included) were baptized in the Jordan. The place we were baptized was Yardenit, right on the Jordan River: www.yardenit.com; email: info@yardenit.com, Kibbutz Kinneret, M.P Jordan Valley 15118, Israel. Tel: 972-4-6759111.

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust." Ps. 91:1-2