Perfect Love Casts Out Fear

"Perfect Love" banner ad - The Pocket Testament League

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Adventures in Prayer - Surrender



Day 2: Prayer of Surrender
from the Ministry of Jim and Kaye Johns
e3 Prayer

Father, I acknowledge that where our prayer life and our personal love relationship with You are concerned, none of us ever arrives. We are always “under construction” as Your Holy Spirit makes and molds us into the image of Your Son.
I know it is important to spend time with You every day, that that’s the only way I can make myself available to You, to learn who You are, and all that You desire me to be. But sometimes simply finding the time every day to come into Your presence is difficult. I seem unable in my own strength to find the discipline to take those first basic steps.
 So I ask You to help me. Enforce every right choice I make with Your enabling power. Teach me to pray, beginning with a prayer of surrender, presenting myself to You as a living sacrifice. Help me not to conform to this world, but to be transformed and renewed in my mind. Help me to learn more about denying self, letting go of self-confidence, self-reliance, self-importance so that I can totally depend on You.
 Help me to understand Your Word. Teach me how to apply it to my life today. Enable me, in Your wisdom and strength, to make choices that are obedient and pleasing to You. Grant me, wherever I am on the path to spiritual maturity and the fullness of a personal love relationship with You, to draw closer to You than I have ever been before.
                                                                                                   In Jesus’ name, amen.

Scriptures to Guide a Time of Personal Surrender

Father, I come to surrender myself to You today, totally, completely as inspired by Your Word…

I begin with offering my body as a living sacrifice…
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God — this is your spiritual act of worship. (Romans 12:1, NIV)

I release to You my mind…
Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. (Colossians 3:2)
Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. (Romans 8:5)
The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace…. (Romans 8:6)
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:5)
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)

I give You my heart…
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” (Matthew 22:37-40)
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” (John 13:34)
And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. (Romans 5:5)
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13:13)
But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you…. (Matthew 5:44)

I submit to Your will…
“This, then, is how you should pray.   …your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” (Matthew 6:9, 10)
Going a little farther, [Jesus] fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” (Matthew 26:39)
Then he said to them all: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.” (Luke 9:23)
By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me. (John 5:30)
“My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.” (John 4:34)
“The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.” (John 8:29)

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust." Ps. 91:1-2